The verse, “Thou shalt not kill” comes to mind (in the King James, no less), but yet if we explore the scriptures, we will also find countless examples of capital punishment to protect the weak and take care of murderers. (for example, Duet 19: 11-13)
So if someone is going to kill your baby, is it okay to kill them?
This week’s The Walking Dead episode was ripe with discussions about situational ethics. In the first 10 minutes, Carol and Mika duked it out about morality.
Carol: You can’t change how big you are, but you can toughen up.
Mika: I don’t have to be tough. I can run. I’m good at that.
Carol: No (stopping Mika to look her in the eye). My daughter ran and it wasn’t enough. That’s why I taught the kids at the prison to do more than that.
Mika: I can kill walkers. I mean, I tried. I’m not like my sister; I’m not messed up. I know what they are. But I can’t kill people. I could never do that.
When the bad people were at the prison, they were right in front of us, and I held up my gun, but I couldn’t pull the trigger.
Killing people is wrong. Someone killed Karen and David. They just killed them. They were nice.
Carol: What about people who try to kill you?
Mika: I don’t even wish I could.
Carol: People came in and killed our friends.
Mika: And I feel sorry for them.
Mika: Because they probably weren’t like that before.
Carol: Sooner or later you’re gonna have to do it. You’ll have to do it or you’ll die.
(SPOILER ALERT! Not sure why I even typed that. I give spoilers every week. I think this one just feels like a “Vader is Luke’s father” kind of spoiler. “Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!”)
So did Carol’s words prove true when Mika perished at her sister’s hands?
I don’t want to say “I told you so,” but I knew Lizzie was going to have to be “put down.” A few weeks ago, in my analysis of Episode 10, I called her “Psycho.” The writing was on the wall. But, did I know she would kill her sister?
Nope. I didn’t see that coming.
Scarier still, the fact that she was about to kill Judith.
So that begs the question. What would you have done with Lizzie?
SEASON 4, EPISODE 14 DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:
- Why did Lizzie kill her sister?
- Was Lizzie innocent? Explain.
- Mika said, “Killing people is wrong.” What do you think Mika would have wanted Tyreese and Carol to do with her sister after she went truly psycho?
- Was there a way to deal with Lizzie without endangering the lives of Judith and everyone else?
- What would you have done with Lizzie?
- Is killing okay? Support your belief with scripture.
- Carol killed Karen and David and was banished by Rick for her actions. Was her killing of Lizzie any different? Explain.
- Why did Tyreese let go of the gun and forgive Carol?
- How would you have responded if you were Tyreese?
What about you? What do you think?